Sunday, February 28, 2010

Traveling by trains....


We're back....it was so good to get away and really good to be back. I missed my bed, my Sophie and my Wifi. We traveled by train it took us 10 hours and 3 stops to get to Austria. We didn't get reserved seating....don't ask me why! But this will be the last time we travel by train without a reserved seating. Mark my words! Top left picture is us standing on the train with way too much luggage and way too many other travelers and their luggage and crap. It was a nightmare and many international incidents happen on the rails, I may have used some sailor language on a fellow passenger that wanted to get by me and fifty other suckers standing in the hallway and entrance of car with luggage everywhere. I don't know where he thought he could go, did he honestly think we were parked there because it was a choice. I'm pretty sure he didn't understand me, I guess not all swear words are universal. Not only were there hoards of people but the heat on the trains were so hot. So you have too many passengers.....too much luggage.....heat.....add on non bathing Europeans, it wasn't pretty. Okay there may have been another incident involving a baby jogger and a large red suitcase, a blond and my husband that wasn't pretty either.
But the good news is we made it to Austria without getting arrested and had seats the last hour of our trip!!
The way back was the same nightmarish story, no seats, tons of people, crying kids, fighting kids, hot trains and BO at an all time high.
Traveling by trains is the cheapest way to see Europe but boy does it take patience, determination, skill and speed, plus a on hand supply of alcohol, coffee and candy!
Pictures of Austria to follow....hope to get caught up on everyones blogs.

Home Sweet Home




18 comments:

Phivos Nicolaides said...

I really do love this post and the picture! Have a great new month ahead!

Killara girl said...

Oh Frau...I'm looking at your collage and laughing at you...i see the blurred pic of your hubby looking back at you...and knowing exactly what you're feeling. We used to try and travel the trains in Italy...i did 3 trips down to Sicily and it was 20hs of the same thing...we usually got a seat by Calabria. I don't think i ever really had too many bad trips other than that! i used to love, love, love the train rides, esp thru the alps.

I'm loving your new camera...pics are great! Is this a picasa collage? Well, glad you made it back without too worse for wear! Have a great week!

Debra said...

Oh Yikes~ What a nightmare. You should write short stories-no kidding! Glad you're back home safe and sound! Rest up and then tell us more.

Sonya said...

YAY glad you had a good time..well despite the train ride from hell..nuthin worse that BO all over the place..and they sure seem to have alot of that over here..lol

I love train rides but not having to basically beat the crap out of someone to get a spot..lol

Erika Jean said...

Can't wait to see pics. Glad o hear you made it home safely.... even if it stunk ;-)

Melissa said...

Congratulations on not getting arrested by travelling by rail. Can't wait to see pics. :)

Ann said...

Glad you survived the trains! Someday you will cherish the memory : )

Suzy said...

The only thing I really miss about Europe is transportation by trains. There's something very relaxing about it. Of course we had resos so that probably helped.

Unknown said...

Welcome home! What a nightmarish train ride(s) for you! I can't even imagine how miserable it must've been. Did you feel like doing a happy dance when you walked in to your house?

Life Laugh Latte said...

Boy do I remember those trains. One night we didn't get a bed on the train, and in the morning hubs and I looked at each other and said..."NO WORDS until we check into a hotel!" We just knew it could only go wrong if we opened our mouths. tee hee Holly

Somer Love said...

UGH NOthing worse than BO on a train... Yuck!

Welcome home! Hugs to Sophie!

Sis Beth said...

It was nice to talk to you. Hope you got some rest. Call me if you can thanks.

Matty said...

Safe and sound. I'm looking forward to the pictures.

Joyce said...

Sometimes it isn't so good being a visual person. I was feeling your pain and I wasn't even on the train! I'm glad you had fun though. xo

Anonymous said...

Welcome back! Yeah travelling by train in Germany could be considered an adventure... You never know for sure if you'll get where you wanted to. And remember always: "by buying a ticket you don't pay for a seat, you only pay for transportation." That's what I was told once by one of those absolutely (un)friendly service officers!
Have a great week...

Unknown said...

Great post... and love the recipe plan of alcohol, coffee and candy!

TBM said...

Oh, I packed too much for our trip as well. You'd think after all of this travelling I'd get it together.

Can't wait to see your pics!

G in Berlin said...

What's strange is that I'd love to travel by train, but we have found that it's much cheaper to drive than to do so. Although I know that tolls in Austria are very steep, so perhaps that makes the difference?