I like millions of others will be parked on my couch tonight to watch the opening ceremonies....I'm so excited. First of all I love London, so to have it held there and see the sites we've visited and possible sightings of my favorite Brits like.....The Royal family or Beckham or a shirtless Beckham! Plus ten years ago the Winter games were held in Salt Lake City, Utah where we lived at the time.
Ten years ago we were so lucky as locals to experience the torch runs and various free advents going on through out the city. My husband volunteered for a week on the down hill ski races. It was a high light of a skier life to be amongst such champions of a sport you love.
My Mom is a big Olympic pin trader....I had no idea...you should have seen her in action!
Buy and wear the Olympic beret
Meet a Olympian-Picabo Street
As a local the only two negatives I remember is at the time I work down town...it was impossible to drive or find parking. So public transportation was my ride and during that time I ended up catching Pneumonia....my Olympic fever....or 8 weeks of hell recovering!
With 22 days to go we are crossing the t's and dotting the i's
it's become the College Prep Extravaganza
yesterday I put my pitiful sewing skills to work...
only after watching the DVD on how to work my sewing machine...
and a youtube video on envelope pillows...
I have to say that round pillow was a bear to make....
made it twice and it's still not a true round pillow
it's suppose to be her desk chair pillow...
not gonna happen....it's now an accent pillow
I have one more round one to go..
I told Katelyn I think it's gonna be square instead of round...
She thinks I can do it....
not so sure!
Katelyn's bedding is a plum purple and her roommates is black like this round pillow, with purple accents and aqua. So most of Katelyn's accessories are black and a few aqua frames....my girl is a garanimal girl....match down to the T!
All the dorm prep and crafting is the fun part of her going off to college and takes my mind off of the what's it gonna be like after. I'm so excited for her to go and start this next chapter....just gonna be so weird to have an empty house.
1. The Summer Olympics officially begin this Friday night...will you be watching? If you could seejust oneevent in person which one would you pick?
I already called dibs on the best seat in the house....I'd pick gymnastics or swimming event.
2.Do lazy days make you feel rested or unproductive?
A little of both....As long as I accomplish at least one thing on my list on a lazy day thats good enough for me. When I worked everyday counted...now theres always tomorrow!
3. July 25th is 'officially' Threading the Needle Day...can you sew? On a scale of 1-10 with 1 being not at all and 10 being Betsy Ross-like, how would you rate your skill with a needle and thread?
I'm like a 2.5! I got a sewing machine for Christmas and made some outdoor pillows....I'm making Katelyn pillows for her dorm room....so I pretty much can sew but barely.
4. 'Threading the Needle' can also mean to walk a fine line between two things or issues (think awkward social situation). When was the last time you had to 'thread the needle', figuratively speaking?
I have a next door neighbor that challenges me constantly....every time I talk to her I thread the needle.....only once have a lost it.
5. Kidney, pinto, black, or navy...your favorite bean?
Kidney....use it the most in soups and chili.
6. Have you ever hosted a garage sale? Was it more success or bust?
Once before we moved from Utah, four years ago....we got rid of a lot of things so I guess in that regard it was a success...bought us a nice dinner out, but not a new couch! I personally donate my things to various organizations rather than waste the time selling them. Though I love a good garage sale and have been known to slam on my brakes for one.
7. What makes you roll your eyes?
Women my age that dress like their teenage daughters.....just because you can doesn't mean you should.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
We have been busy bees getting everything for Katelyn's dorm etc...doing some crafty things for her dorm as well....Pinterest inspired of coarse!
I bought a framed mirror at a consignment shop for $5 it was gold. We removed the mirror and spray painted the frame ivory, bought some ivory lace, she cut and glued them on and here is her new earring holder...
Joyce over at From this side of the Pond tagged me with an award today....like her I don't normally play along but like her it's a rainy grey day so why not!!
Here's the deal-
1. Thank the blogger who gave it to you and share the link back to their blog.
Thanks Joyce.....love visiting her...it's like going home to my NJ roots plus love hearing about all her travels plus expat experiences and her two beautiful daughters. I do her Wednesday Hodgepodge meme so if you ever want to join the fun do....From this side of the Pond.
2. Name 5 fabulous moments of your life.
My wedding day
Graduating from college
Moving to Germany
Moving back to USA
3. Name 5 things you love.
4. Name 5 things that you hate.
5. Pass the award to 5 deserving bloggers.
eh. Sometimes I skip this part because not everyone appreciates a tag, and lots of bloggers even advertise their sites as 'award-free'. I love lots of blogs for lots of different reasons so it's hard to pick, but today I chose five that I read regularly. If I tagged you, play along or not...it's up to you.
1. Tami at PrettyPurplePlexing she says she is on a summer blog break....but maybe she will play along to jump start her blogging break!
2. My Sister Preppy Player because this two will be a great jump start back into blogging....come on sis play along!!
3. Leslie from A spoonful of everything she is probably out on her boat enjoying the summer or crafting something wonderful. Just maybe she will take a break from fun and play along??
4. Somer from Love to Breathe I have known Somer since she was in diapers....she is the best of the best...and needs to get blogging again! Do it Somer!
5. Bobbi from Bobbi in La La Land this girl cracks me up...she has dropped off blogging but is on Twitter all the time....come back to blogging Bobbi....we need more massage stories!
Happy Friday All! Have a wonderful weekend! Please keep the victims from Aurora Colorado tragedy in your prayers .....such a senseless act of violence.
1. The Summer Olympics begin next week and London is playing host. If you had the chance to go in person which (non-Olympic) London site would you most like to visit?
Buckingham Palace first and watch the changing of the guards....then the Tower of London tower bridge...maybe do the London Eye and see a birds eye view of Big Ben. I love London and have been fortunate enough to have gone there now 4 times. Only problem is I've never been there and not had it be cold and rainy. We've gone in November, December and March time frame...
2. What is something in your life right now that feels like an Olympic event?
Getting Katelyn ready for college....the shopping, spending and checking things off list with a 30 days to go....it's coming all too fast.
3. What's your favorite supper to prepare and serve when it's too hot to cook?
Anything on the BBQ or a crockpot meal....or a salad with rotisserie chicken.
4. July 18th is National Get Out of the Doghouse Day...when was the last time you were 'in the doghouse'?
It's been a long time...I can't remember! Or I'm pleading the fifth!
5. What television advertisement do you find particularly irritating or inappropriate? You may not answer with 'all of them'. I know some of you were thinking about it.
Any and all the prescription drug ones that say ask your doctor if .......is right for you and then goes on to list all the horrible side effects!
6. Share one piece of interesting news from the year you were born.
Dinner time when we sit down together and talk about each others day....favorite time.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
Katelyn's friend from Utah has been here and we played a game called Taboo it's a fun game and lots of laughs...the object of the game is you have a word to describe to your team members and there is a list of 5 words you can't say plus the word itself. I always find it funny my daughter's generation doesn't know certain catch phrases or know certain people from my era....so the word was Sticker Shock....she was like I don't even know what that means....how I described it to her was Katelyn's college tuition bill came yesterday and I was in sticker shocker....with the final bill....I think she got it!
This is Katelyn's friend Sarah last day today.....we are sad to see her go! But they had a great visit and I hope Sarah had lots of fun seeing where Katelyn lives and meeting her friends.
Yesterday these three went to Canada to the Niagara Falls Canada side...yes they got lost going, coming back and somewhere in-between.....Sarah is Katelyn's BFF and so is Lauren....they both hit it off and were three peas in a pod. Katelyn said to me I'm so happy they hit it off they are my two most important friends.
Last Sunday we drove about an hour away to Letchworth State Park....the brochure says it's the Grand Canyon of the East....not sure I'd agree especially if you have ever been to the Grand Canyon. But it was a nice drive and something different to do on a Sunday.
I think we live rurally but a mile or so from our house it really becomes rural...lots of open land, farms and wind turbines liter the sky line.....I love the view of those beauties.
Letchworth State Park consist of a dam and three falls, upper,middle and lower! We are in a drought like most of the country, and the water levels of the falls reflect. Last time we came here two years ago the water was raging. The part I like about the park is it's accessible for any age they have stone staircases to get everywhere.
It's a pet friendly park, as long as they are on their leashes. Sophie is a climber....so weird she loves to walk on walls, ledges, park benches.....and apparently trees!
She is not much of a reader or rule follower!
The train track above is in operation...We have never been there when one comes across...can you imagine the view from the train!
Someone was pretty tuckered out slept the whole ride home!
If you're ever in these parts it's worth the $8 entrance fee.
1. How often do you check the weather? How do you check the weather?
Everyday okay and several times during the day. I have the weather channel app on my iphone.
2. Since this is volume 84 of the Wednesday Hodgepodge, and since I got married in 1984, and since I'm attending a wedding this weekend it only seems right to post something related here.
"Happiness in marriage is entirely a matter of chance. If the dispositions of the parties are ever so well known to each other or ever so similar beforehand, it does not advance their felicity in the least. They always continue to grow sufficiently unlike afterwards to have their share of vexation; and it is better to know as little as possible of the defects of the person with whom you are to pass your life."
I disagree and agree....I think marriage happiness is not chance or luck it's hard work. Knowing each or ahead being each other's best friends is a must but also growing and learning more as you grow together as a couple is inevitable.
3. Do you like to dance? Have you ever taken dance lessons?
Depends on the song and the situation....but it's certainly out of my comfort zone. No I've never taken a dance class nor have I the desire too.
4. Fresh from the oven peach pie or home made peach ice cream? Pick one.
Peach Pie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top! Yum!
5. Should people accept unfairness and learn to make the best of it?
I say yes but again it depends on the situation. Life isn't always fair but it's what you do with the unfairness that makes a difference. That's a tough one.
6. The top five all time summer movie blockbusters (released between May and August and grossing at least 100 million dollars) are-Jaws, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Star Wars (the original), Ghostbusters, and ET. Which one's your favorite?
ET loved it and still do, second choice would be Ghostbusters....all classic movies!
7. If given the chance, would you like to visit the moon?
If it was totally safe....sure why not...I wonder if they would have a good gift shop or outlet mall to keep me busy while my hubby explores! I'd be good for a half hour tour!!
It's hard to believe we are coming up on our two year anniversary living in Western New York. Even after two years of living here there are so many places in our own back yard we haven't visited or discovered.
Knox Farm State Park is one of those, it's located right in the village...I drive by it every time I go to the grocery store.....why we never stopped it beyond me. Knox Farm is the former estate of the renowned Knox Family, it's 633 acres are now owned by NY state. This park is on the "Seven to Save" endangered properties of NY state preservation league. It looks like it's struggling to stay alive...but has a lot of beauty to offer. I think of the potential it has but Imagine the money and being it's in a tiny village outside of Buffalo doesn't have the draw like big parks.
We brought our bikes to explore this park. It was a hot morning but once we were on the trails and in the woods it was much cooler. Other than the lack of signs we had a wonderful time and can't wait to go back and hike and bike the rest of the park. It's a hidden gem that's for sure. We had the place to our selves.