Friday, July 10, 2009

Shhhh!!!!!!!!

I love the days I have German. Not because of the love of learning a difficult language. But the entertainment and cultural training my teacher gives me. I think I'm only paying her for language lessons, though the knowledge and inside laughter I gain is priceless.

For example I've been getting ready for my family to come sprucing up the house and I told her I need to cut the lawn today. She said just don't do it between 1-3 pm it's FORBIDDEN!
Forbidden is such a strong word ...kind of a scary word.....wooooo! Forbidden!!

She said you can not cut the lawn or make unnecessary noise or your neighbors will complain. I said I thought that was on Sunday...No she said it's everyday. During that time is when people must lay down and rest! Do people do that in America? I said you mean Nap? Some people do but it's not breaking any cardinal rules it you make noise during the day. Well here it is and you can get a ticket so don't do it, also it is best to never call anyone during this time. Okay because it is FORBIDDEN? No it is just best no to because they are resting. Our bank and post office and several stores close during this time. I wonder how you say Siesta in German???

She ask me to use my closet....I knew what she meant.....Water closet aka toilette aka bathroom. But it still made me chuckle!!

She also made me turn off the fan because she can not have a draft or it will make her squeeze!
I didn't have to heart to correct her, sneeze or squeeze either way I have sweat running down my back!

24 comments:

Deidra said...

I love your stories of the German culture. Too too funny! Is America the only culture that does not advocate an afternoon nap?

Formerly known as Frau said...

I haven't had a afternoon nap since pre-school!

Ann said...

Wow! That is some funny stuff! Hope your parents and niece have a good trip over and a great time there!

Anonymous said...

I wish we all got a nap every day.

Guess I'll have to settle for the fact that my son naps every.

Marilyn *Pink Martinis and Pearls* said...

You write so well, Frau! Very entertaining. I also loved your remark of sitting on your ass. Can I join you?

Slices of Beauty... said...

You always make me laugh, thanks!

Happy Friday.

Ina in Alaska said...

SO FREAKIN' FUNNY I HAD TO RUN TO THE CLOSET BECAUSE I SQUEEZED SO HARD!!!!!

Reminds me of a barking ordinance here in Anchorage. If your dog is barking more than 10 minutes and the barking can be PROVEN to be an annoyance you will receive a ticket!!

Have fun with the family but no loud disturbances between 1 - 3 PM!! :)

Suzy said...

I wish we had that in the States. They have it all over Europe. It makes sense to me. They say that people who take a nap every day live longer. I'm going to be 867 on my next birthday.

The Preppy Princess said...

This is funny, I love it. (But when is one supposed to cut the lawn....?)

Hope you have fun with your guests!
tp

LenoreNeverM♡re said...

haha Frau you are so FUN!
Does it mean you can do it at 6AM??? wooooh forbidden?!
Great weekend!

Joyce said...

You make me laugh all the time!! The stories you have, you could write a book and call is I say sneeze you call squeeze! Have fun with the family! xoxo

PS I wish it was our afternoon requirement here to nap!

Jen said...

I live in the wrong country. I want to live somewhere that believes in adults taking naps. It is totally frowned upon here in the US--boooo!

AiringMyLaundry said...

Wow, I wish America would do that 1-3 thing. It would be nice to have some peace.

kks said...

very funny! have a great wknd!
xo

Somer Love said...

I LOVE my naps!!!! I have one almost every day!

Shady Lady said...

I'm all for nap time! Do you think I could convince Princess this is a good thing? ;)

Coffee with Cathy said...

I love the idea of a German siesta! My older daughter took German in high school and loved it -- she still likes to startle folks by throwing a phrase or two into normal conversation. Although we give it a negative implication, German can be a beautiful language.

Ute said...

Yeah, I grew up with a neighbor who yelled at us kids, if we started playing loudly even 5 minutes before 3pm. Lovely! ;)

Of course, and apparently that's not true for Northern Germany, in Southern Germany people have relaxed about this rule. As an adult I have never heard anyone complain about kids playing outside during "Mittagsruhe". Yep, that's what they call Siesta in German.

bevchen said...

Haha, bless the Germans. They are so funny about draughts!
I've never heard that it's forbidden to cut the lawn between 1 and 3 though. I swear my neighbour was cutting the lawn at 2pm the other day?! It is definitely forbidden on holidays though - last time there was a holiday I heard some old lady telling her nephews off for making a noise outisde "Ruhe! Heute ist Feiertag!"

Marilyn *Pink Martinis and Pearls* said...

Guten taug. (correct?) I left you an award on my blog today. Have a good one, Frau.

♥ Braja said...

Forbidden sounds scarier in German than English :))

heidi said...

LOL!!!! Reminds me of "Eat, Pray, Love".... did you read it?

Unknown said...

That's funny...she thinks she's teaching you German and you're really teaching her! I've been squeezing all day. I hope it's nothing serious! LOL

Joanna Jenkins said...

So when exactly can can you mow the lawn??? That's a hoot!
Enjoy the weekend.