Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Sophie aka Boots

Our little girl Sophie is sporting a new look. A bigger and clear Elizabethan Collar and booties.
She has had a itching skin problem on and off forever. We always assumed it was allergies, but the Vets could never figure it out. She has been on Steroids, Allergy meds, Antibiotics, special food, special shampoos you name it we have tried it.

So after many tests and a day of "observing" by our Vet, he concluded her itching is a psychological/anxiety problem. The itching has become a habit for her. She itches and itches causing open wounds and then they get infected. It's a cycle that has gone on most her life.

I have a hard time believing it's anxiety.....I know she has had a hard time with the move. She follows me everywhere and cries when we leave. But I keep thinking of when we lived in SLC she had the itching and never had a problem with being alone.

So in the mean time, the coarse of treatment is mild sedation to relax her and hopefully break the habit. And more antibiotics for cure the infection . Booties to stop her hind legs from doing any more damage.

I hope it works cause my baby is suffering. For now she is sleepy but not itching.


12 comments:

Sheryl said...

The poor thing. She does look relaxed in the picture. Hope this works for you.

kks said...

it could be obsessive compulsive disorder/anxiety....good grief, poor thing....i do see pets go on a type of anti-anxiety med...forget the name now, but will check it out for you...her...(does it run in the family?!) just kidding :)

Andrea said...

Bless her heart! Remember how you talked about how you felt about being in Germany. Sounds like sophie is stressed out, too.
Andrea

Coffee with Cathy said...

So, so sorry. Poor Sophie! She must be so miserable with her itching. I know your heart aches for her. We're all hoping for the best. And, P.S., I love the fabric on your sofa!

♥ Braja said...

Oh bless her! Poor little thing; what an adorable photo, "I must lie down...it's been dwaining...." :))) xx

Bobbi said...

Poor baby! I think my dog has itchy skin too, he doesn't rip hole in himself, but he does scratch too hard on occasion.

Looks like those sedatives are working!

Unknown said...

My Sam used to do the compulsive itching and licking thing too and although it wasn't as bad as Sophie's itching, I would give him a Benadryl to stop the itchy feeling and relax him. I would hate for Sophie to have to be sedated just so that she doesn't scratch. It sounds strange that the vet thinks it's anxiety. There's got to be something else. I hope she's better soon. Btw, I use tearless baby shampoo after trying oatmeal soap to stop the itching.

Ina in Alaska said...

Oh the poor little sweetheart!! Hope it does not worsen when you leave for the USA...

Shady Lady said...

Oh! Poor Sophie! How awful. I hope you find the solution soon.

Joyce said...

Ohhh... poor Sophie girl!! Did the vet give her any special soap to use on her?

My heart goes out to you- on her aniexty. Kelly came to us with separation aniexty very hard to break. She was born and raised for her 1st 5 yrs in a home and NEVER left. When the woman passed away life became upside down for Kelly. Our trainer at the time would we remind me not to give into it and tell her she is fine. Now that she is old she gets ancious at night. She is up and down, walks to the table and back to her bed. I'm wondering now if this is because of her SP.

I hope the sores heal up fast! Poor baby girl. Hey I noticed you have Sophie matching your sofa!!
xoxo...

Courtney said...

Oh no sweet Sophie!! Hoping she gets better soon.

Somer Love said...

Poor baby girl! osc and Lills send pug licks!