Monday, December 28, 2009









We have had a busy trip so far, it's gone too fast! I spent the first several days Christmas shopping and dealing with car repairs. Visiting with family and friends, Christmas, after Christmas shopping, movies and eating.
One of the foods I miss is Chinese Food, our favorite restaurant is right near our house called Mountain City. This little husband and wife run the place they are both about 4 feet tall, and the hardest workers you will ever meet.
When we lived in Utah we would go there all the time or do take out. My sister and her family have gone there for years as well. One time my sister and I went together....Kin the owner was shocked we were sisters.
In her Chinese accent she would say "you two are sisters"? Yes we are. So the next time I'd come in she would say "your sister is so sexy and You...you are so normal"! WTF does that mean? I would find my self explaining why I was so normal and not sexy like my sister....often I would to do take out on my way home from Gym so I'd be in sweats with messy bun!
Then I would come in and she would say "I no like your hair, you need it cut" why you not like your sister!!
OMG seriously enough little china women! So often on days I had my hair done I found myself wanting Chinese Food, but secretly I think I wanted her to see me looking done and I seeked her approval. SAD I know!
When we would come in as a family she loves my Husband she would say your husband is so good looking and you, you are so normal!She loves my daughter always telling her how pretty she is and how she looks just like her Dad. I don't know why I kept coming back I think I'm crazy. The abuse I took from her for years.
The last month before we moved Katelyn and I ate there a lot. Craig was already in Germany and I was busy packing and cooking was the farthest from my mind. She would always say "how is your husband? He is so good looking....email him and tell him I say HI!! Tell him come see me before you move!
Tonight we paid her a visit .....she said to me " you look good like real Germany women" WTF does that mean? I think it's a compliment.....maybe? She took one look at my hubby and said "you look old"! Hee hee I was laughing inside ....yes finally! She brought us our meal and pretty much stood there while we ate starring at Craig saying you look good but old, lots of grey hair you work too hard. Katelyn she said "you look so smart like very smart girl look like you 18 or 19 years old! Of course Kate liked that....I was just happy I didn't look "NORMAL" but like real Germany women! I'm pretty sure this is what she meant!!



39 comments:

Barrett said...

I bet you are right about the image of the German girl! That would be the image that would pop into my head too.

This entire post made me laugh!

Glad you are having a good time!

Lee said...

I am cracking up over this woman!

Sonya said...

Oh man I loved this story! I MISS and I mean miss the chinese food from back home. I have dreams of it. My little chinese woman was also 4ft tall and every step she took you could hear it because of how flat footed she was. She knew my entire order every time I came in.

What did you order there?? lol

LenoreNeverM♡re said...

LOL!
Sounds Great, not the car trouble though~
I think Chinese food is the best!
yummm*

lytha said...

i can't say i miss chinese food. mexican, yes!

when i worked in a nursing home, i had an old lady tell me, "you'd be really pretty if you lost weight."

i love how many old people just say what they think - no worries at all. but i didn't like to hear that, geez!

~lytha

kks said...

way too funny....
glad you're having a wonderful time....stay away from the Chinese lady...she knows not what she says....:)

Maude Lynn said...

This is so funny! I never knew "normal" could be so insulting!

Deidra said...

That is just too funny! I'm sure you look exactly like the woman in the photo...only better!

beth said...

OMG....this just cracked me up and you...talking like her in her chinese way, like they all do....made me laugh so hard !

I see an acupuncturist that is chinese, of course and when I walk in for an appt. she always says.....oh you no look so good today" and then after I stick out my tongue that she always has to look at she says, "oh tongue so dry, not good" and "berry berry low pulse rate"

Anonymous said...

I think the sexy sister comment is super funny! Why would anyone say that?

Hope you have a great trip.

Andrea said...

I'm sure she meant it as a compliment. Glad you are enjoying your time back in the US.
Blessings and hugs,
andrea

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

This was so funny! Yes, she meant that Gereman woman picture for sure :)!

Somer Love said...

You kill me!! SO funny... Waiting for my phone to ring, bucks is calling our name

ps the cupcakes are back

Nancy C said...

This is hilarious. A German woman once told me that she could always recognize Americans because "You're all so fat."

Ah, but this "fat" American will suffer all kinds of abuse for a good dumpling and fried rice.

Cathee said...

You funny.

preppyplayer said...

I plan on meeting the Chinese lady in February!

Shady Lady said...

Well, that is you in the picture...right? Silly little China woman!! ;) Just pat her on the head and tell her to be on her way.

Joanna Jenkins said...

Ha! "You look normal." My reply would have been "No tip for you."
Glad you are enjoying your trip home.
xo

Coffee with Cathy said...

Finding the perfect Chinese place is key! And when you get fashion and hair critiques as a bonus, what's not to like?

Joyce said...

I'm sure that's the image she had in mind...glad you are enjoying your trip...Happy New Year!

Joyce said...

KATHY I should have gone to the bathroom BEFORE I read your post!! LOL... You are a hoot you german gal!!! I'm still laughing... xo

JMay said...

Hilarious, this gave me a good laugh.

Erika Jean said...

That is such a cute/bizzare story. Maybe she meant to say you have "the girl next door" look and you sister looks like a sl*t. HAHAHAHA I am totally kidding - I don't even know your sister.

Sounds like an awesome lady. The lady that owned "our" chinese place in Ohio knew us pretty well too. I'd walk in the door and she'd know what I want. Very nice family.

Keely said...

Heh. There's a woman like that at a Viet Thai place I frequent, if you take too long to order she'll say abruptly, "Number 38 on special. You have that," and grab the menu and walk away before you can argue.

Melissa said...

I think that picture is exactly what she meant. :)

Go take a look here, I gave you an award. :)

http://yesthatislovely.blogspot.com/2009/12/im-haute-mess.html

Anonymous said...

you gotta love brutal honesty! i'm afraid to go see that woman! ever!!!

by the way i've moved...

mrs k :)

happy new year

heidi said...

LOLOL!!!!! Next time, I wanna see pics! Loved this post. We had dinner at the chinese place on xmas too. Family tradition. xoh

Slices of Beauty... said...

You paid for your meals and got the abuse for free, a real BOGOF, lol!

Happy new year and thank you for always making me laugh, you rock.

Leciawp said...

Happy New Year!!! xoxo

Unknown said...

I am not sure how i missed this post. I'm still lmao! Sorry, lol.

Kwana said...

I am cracking up. I'm so sure that is just what she meant. What a trip. Happy New Year to you and the whole family!

Debbie said...

That is so hysterical! I have been to places where the people are like that and it is a riot.

Traci said...

Too too funny! I'm sure that all German women look like that! :-)

I hope you enjoy the rest of your time stateside and that you have safe travels back to Germany.

Happy 2010!

King of New York Hacks said...

I had a customer one time say to me as she paid for the 2 minute taxi ride to just go about 3 blocks, with no tip..." you Russians really need to learn how to drive. "My reaction O_O .. I'm irish italian and grew up in New York..LMAO

Anonymous said...

Hahahahahahahahaha!!! 'Normal'!? Hahaha! What the heck??

suchlovelyfreckles said...

Hmph... I hate that people have the image of chicks like that when they think of Germans. Come to my blog, and you will see this is NOT, NOT, NOT what we look like!!!

:-)

Oh, and Happy New Year!!

pve design said...

You really should write a book. I was rolling on the floor laughing.
Normal.
pve

TBM said...

Hahahahahahaha! OMG. That is too funny.