Sunday, December 6, 2009

Sundays In My City-Saint Nikolaus Day









Last night in Germany and many other countries as well. Children left their shiny shoes or boots outside the door or by the fireplace so Saint Nikolaus could pay them a visit. Before last year I had heard of this but never participated, Katelyn is all about when in Rome do as Romans so we took part in the tradition.

Children dress up as Saint Nikolaus and go to stores and have sweets, nuts or fruit placed in their bags or boots they carry. Some even come to your home like trick or treating. We did not have any visitors like this picture. But I did see children bringing their boots to the grocery store where a Saint Nikolaus filled them with fruit and nuts.

 
I love seeing the different traditions Germany has. My German teacher told me that most Germans do not decorate for the season until Saint Nikolaus Day. And when she grew up in Holland if you decorated before this day, you would often receive notice. I'm not sure what that means except maybe you received coal or got put on the naughty list!

Needless to my lovely daughter was at a sleepover last night and sent a text reminding us that Saint Nikolaus should being coming tonight!! My husband texted her back asking if she put out her shoes? She responded by saying I'm pretty sure I left a few pairs laying around!

What about you do they celebrate Saint Nikolaus in your city?

Have a wonderful start to the Holiday Season!


Go visit Unknown Mami and see what her city and others have going on, on this lovely Sunday.

25 comments:

Sonya said...

YAY we did Sinterklaas aswell..the boys left their shoe out and we placed a chocolate letter in there and a few gifts to the side of the shoe..lol Since the boys are older they know whats what when it comes to santa but we still have fun with it..lol
Loved the photos! Have a wonderful week!

Ina in Alaska said...

Re the top picture. Last night the hubs and I watched Angels & Demons. I thought the cast was marching around Bremen!! :)

That looks like a fun tradition.

Even though this is not going to be a big gift year, my Christmas tree collection is set all about the living room. I have big ones and medium ones and small ones. They make the room look so festive!!

Ronda said...

That is a nice tradition! If we left our shoes out, he would probably put foot powder in them!

We celebrate the usual way, plus, my husband's birthday is on Christmas day. He never really knew the real way to have a normal birthday. I always forget to get birthday wrapping paper for him too. Oh well.

I hope you and your family are doing well and are having a nice December so far!
XOXO

Mrs4444 said...

I enjoyed this post! We did not celebrate this tradition when I was a kid (no money), but I do with my kids. Funny you should mention the texts, because I got one from each of my kids reminding me of the same! :)

Andrea said...

I have never celebrated in this way, but find it very interested and I must admit, I am with Caitlyn....when in Rome...join in on their fun.
I love it on Sundays when you share different traditions, etc. from Germany. I need to ask my hubby if his mom or grandmother ever talked about this tradition. His Mother was German and her parents came to the states from Germany...so maybe they did some of these things.

Blessings, andrea

Amy said...

My boys put their shoes out last night!! They were filled with gold coins this morning.

We also visited St. Nicolas yesterday (at a local Catholic bookstore - a super impressive and authentic looking one too!). Today is his feast day, and after Mass I'll read the kids a book about him.

I LOVE that first picture you have up! OMGoodness how fun!

Kristina P. said...

I think Europe has the coolest holiday traditions. So fun!

Yelena R. said...

That is really cool! I remember studying about this tradition in school. It's so interesting how different cultures celebrate this time of the year :)

AareneX said...

I wish I'd put out my cowboy boots last night--think of how many chocolates could fit in there!

Kwana said...

Thanks for letting us in on this sweet tradition. Your daughter knows the right way to go.

Melissa said...

I have never done this but it sounds really neat! I love that they give the children fruit and nuts!

Nancy C said...

I love this, and I love how the kids have more traditions to pass on someday, thanks to this German adventure.

Joanna Jenkins said...

What a fun holiday!!!! I like the "participation" part of dressing up the setting out the boots for treats. It's way better than Halloween :-)

Thanks for sharing your city.

Happy holidays Frau!

xo

Killara girl said...

How adorable.

Liz Mays said...

She left a few pairs laying around...ha!

Joyce said...

Love the picture of all the St. Nick's...sounds like lots of fun!

Matty said...

Thanks for another lesson in tradition there in Germany. It's nice that it includes the kids.

Cathee said...

I love hearing about a place I would otherwise know nothing about. BTW, Kyle got out a box of Bob's candy canes I had sitting in the pantry since last year. I had to laugh thinking I just so thoughtless had them sitting in there while you are wishing for some. They were good last night, even with wine!

Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden said...

Thanks for sharing your German tradition. My kids would love that! Thanks!

Claudya Martinez said...

I love learning all the new to me information through you. Germany has so many interesting traditions.

TBM said...

LOL, I love that your daughter sent y'all a text reminding you of Sinterklaasdag :-)

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

I wish not concur on it. I regard as nice post. Especially the designation attracted me to study the whole story.

Anonymous said...

Genial post and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you for your information.

Anonymous said...

Opulently I assent to but I about the brief should acquire more info then it has.