Friday, September 10, 2010

Barn sale gone wrong !

A few weeks ago we went for a drive to Warsaw, NY. Just outside Warsaw we came upon a barn sale....and of coarse I screamed stop the car! We pulled up and parked on the grass with the rest of the country folks, and started looking. I found something right off, some things were marked most wasn't. I asked the farmer how much and he looks at it and says that's not for sale, where did you find that? Okay calm down I thought...seriously it was like a junk yard and somehow everything that was not perfectly lined up was not for sale today! We continued to look and look....found some stuff. In the mean time Katelyn decides to take a picture of us ohh and ahhing things and a picture or two of the lined up crap treasures for sale. Here is when things went wrong...country style!

Farmer marches over and ask Katelyn to please stop taking pictures. She like, the nice girl she is does, and  said sorry. Farmer is not satisfied with that and says people have been doing that all day, it takes a lot of gall to come on someones private property and take pictures. I jumped in and said, you are having a sale it's not like we walk on your property by having the sale you invite people on. I told him we mean no disrespect to him. My husband jumped in and commented that it's unique for us and that is why she photographed it. Farmer was pissed off, watched us like a hawk and I'm pretty sure the prices doubled.

I often want to stop and take pictures of some thing I see from the road, is it a violation of privacy from the road? Should I ask permission if I'm not entering their property?

So you know when you piss off a farmer at a barn sale...in your mind you think...I'm so blogging about this!!




Paid $15
Paid $25 
Paid $5

Not the deals like I found in Germany but my search is still on....and pissed off Farmer don't haggle!

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are all great finds. How much was he sell the cows for? Oh wait, I didn't see any lined up.

Maybe next time.

Matty said...

Well isn't that just wierd. You would think a country boy would be all sociable and friendly. But since he acted like a backside, good for you that you posted his picture for all to see.

As for taking pictures, I've had people come out of their homes and ask me what I was doing. When I tell them that it's for my blog, or for Flickr, they are okay with it. Nonetheless, there is nothing illegal since you're in public and so is their property. I once had someone call the police and report me as a suspicious person. LOL

As Cape Cod Turns said...

That is weird and very unfriendly of said farmer! Maybe he had a bunch of stolen goods that he didn't want photographed? May as well make a good story out of it!

Melissa said...

Well you got some cute stuff. Too bad you had to give the grumpy farmer money for it. And you're right, he was having a sale, and so therefore people would be on his property and I believe Matty is correct in that it's not illegal to take photos as it's out for everyone to see anyway!

Joyce said...

Maybe he was making moonshine in the back of the barn : ) Great finds though!

lytha said...

i love it that you posted his picture, as well as all the photos he did not want you to take. what were his reasons exactly? i know some stores do not allow photos cuz they do not want you to steal their ideas (at least i think that is why).

i think about the privacy rules of long ago - if your face ended up in a historical print of an old neighborhood, it was there forever in the archives.

Joyce said...

I'm not an expert on treasure hunt prices (I leave this up to my friends to help me), but I think angry or not the farmer gave you a good deal. I got the same goat pail for $5. xo

Unknown said...

That makes absolutely no sense.
Why taking pics would be a problem, I dont get it.
But yes, " I'm so blogging about this" would have popped into my mind also.

Buckeroomama said...

"I am so blogging this..."

Had a big chuckle out of that! :)

Expats Again said...

It certainly is legal. He invited people on his property. I had a clerk in the Disney store in Paris tell me not to take a photo of the window dressings, from the outside. If it is "outside" of the shop, how can they control who photographs it or not? It is getting crazy. I figure if you put it out there, it's fair game. Just sayin'.

Sonya said...

I think some places dont like you doing because you can steal their ideas and I know alot of people do not want to end up on a blog..like me. I always ask my friends that if they snap a photo of me or the kids to please not post it on a blog or anywhere else for that matter.

However that is odd that he got ticked off about that. People are pretty snippy when it comes to their stuff and having photos taken of it.

You got some cool stuff though! total score : )

Unknown said...

"I am SO blogging this" That is exactly what I thought as I happened upon something that I found recently (blog to follow soon). I love these kinds of posts. Like sneaking candy to school! Your finds are amazing!

Average Girl said...

Perhaps he is wanted on America's Most Wanted...LOL

Cheers
Tracy
www.goodgirlgoneaverage.blogspot.com

Kwana said...

What a mean farmer. He probably had sour milk that day.

Anonymous said...

Those are really nice finds... I've been thinking about going to some flea markets we're having in my hometown. I hope there will be some nice things...

Have a great week!

Unknown said...

I love what you got! Seriously. That is some great stuff! I can't believe the farmer got all crazy like that! Usually farmers are super nice and helpful!

Dita said...

OH this is hilarious. Only in NY (even though its upstate!)

Good thing he had a barn...where was he storing all this, er, um...treasure of his.

So glad you blogged about it....hope he doesn't find out...(heheheehhe)

lisaroy said...

Boy! he had a bee in his bonnet! Maybe he's an ex-con or he's peddling stolen goods! It's not like you snuck in and were taking photos of the inside of his house - he was having a public sale!
Love your finds! :)

TBM said...

Yikes!!!

pve design said...

Maybe he got up on the wrong side of that barn or bed!
I would have walked away empty handed to piss him off even further.
pve