Tuesday, November 1, 2011

PSA-Scams...

We all get them in our spam folder....most just delete
A relative of mine didn't 
It was for a Mystery Shopper
Now in her defense there are or were real jobs like that
 once back in the day.

She received this email and thought why not check it out..the first email was vague, 
the next email had some red flags, worded weird and lots of miss spellings.
My relative googled company no complaints so she preceded.

Here's were the scam comes in
She will receive a check and wait for instructions
She received a USPO money order for $850 
She is to go to her bank and cash it, take $200 for herself 
then go to Western Union and send the remainder of money order to the next person listed
RED FLAG RED FLAG
The next person is in the Philippines.

She did not go to her bank collect $200 and pass go to Western Union...
She googled the name on the Money Order and found the Fraud trail.
The buck stopped there....


But what if she didn't have google and her intuition to stop her 
in this economy we are all cutting corners and trying to make ends meet
What if and obviously this must work or why would it still be around
Be Aware 
That is my PSA for the week...

My blogger friend Petra posted this on Facebook
Now this Scam cracked me up....
Click to enlarge....
lol....
Have a wonderful day! 

13 comments:

lisaroy said...

These scams are so rampant and I often worry about older folks who are still so trusting of people. Gotta love the cowboy scam! :)

Debbiedoos said...

My friend did this, the minute she started telling me, I knew it was a fraud. She lost 200.00 bucks..what a shame that these people do this.

Buckeroomama said...

Thanks for sharing this. I'm with lisaroyhandbags --I worry about the people who are gullible enough to actually believe these scams.

Leslie said...

Thanks for sharing. I recently got a scam from someone claiming to be my Paypal account. At first I was freaked out.. then I looked their code up and bingo ~ Scam!!

Happy Novemember. I love the header.

Joyce said...

this is scary. I'm glad she knew enough to google. Thank you for sharing. xo

Liz Mays said...

lol to the repeat purse snatchings in that silly Walmart story, but seriously, people fall for these kinds of things so often. You'd think as much as they're in the news, etc. that a red flag would go up right away. I must be a very, very cautious person because anything involving money would be an instant "absolutely not" in my book.

Tami said...

If it's too good to be true.... then it usually is!

Bobbi said...

That's why I have stuff like that put into my spam folder and it's immediately deleted.

I love the cowboy PSA! So funny!

Ina in Alaska said...

When in doubt - DELETE!! Lots of scams out there. I just delete stuff from my email when it is from someone I absolutely do not know.

Good message!! xo

kks said...

Too funny! I love it:)
xoxo

Claudya Martinez said...

Ugh! They just never go away.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting. Many people are scamed by things like this!

Erin of Salvaged Whimsy said...

I've read about this happening to people, and it's so unfortunate. When my husband and I sold our last house, we decided to rent while we decided where to move. I contacted a homeowner via craigslist. They told me the house was available b/c they were on business in Africa...at 1st, I kind of fell for it, but then some red flags popped up so I searched the auditor's office for the property owner's name. It was owned by a bank. I was never asked for money, but I'm sure that sending a "deposit" was the next step. Crazy world...thanks for the warning.