Monday, January 12, 2009

Don't be late in Germany

In my daughter's school bulletin this reminder to not be late to school struck me as funny and kinda odd, so I thought I'd share!


Lateness due to bad weather
Now winter has set in we are understanding of traffic delays and the like, due to inclement weather. However, think ahead and leave a little earlier so that your child arrives on time. School starts at 8:00 am. This means children are seated in the classroom – not walking through the main door.
Punctuality and good time keeping are historically a trait of “North Germany” but also a necessary aspect of everyday life.

So am I wrong to think this only applies to the "Germans" in her International School and the rest of us are exempt or are "North Germans" the only ones that historically have this trait of caring about being on time and keeping good time.

I personally think its the rule through out the world school starts at such and such time and you are to be there and seated as so. But one thing I have learned is "Germans" do not like to be told what to do so this is a kinder more gentle way of saying "get your damn kids to school on time, who do you think you are!"

3 comments:

Confessions of a Wandering Soul said...

Guten Tag,
Amen!!! I know where you are coming from in relation to Germans and their punctuality. I am married to one ;).I dont need a clock with my hubby around...lol. Anyways, enjoyed reading your blog. Auf Wiedersehen :)

preppyplayer said...

I think Becky and Kev's schools are very rigid with time. I also think that German's are famous for being rigid in general. Punctuality might be an important part of their culture. i guess you better remember that when you sign up for a class at your German Gym, Don't be late!

Tami said...

Guten Morgen,
My ancestors came from Germany. I wonder if that is why I am so OCD about being on time!! ha!ha!

Are you feeling better??

ps. I have something on my blog for you!