Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Sometimes it's the little things

I've had a lot of gray days lately and I'm trying to find the sunny spot of my day, just the smallest simplest shadow.......
Today I finished my Mad Men Season 2 though I wasn't happy with the ending, I think I wasn't happy with it because it ended. And it means no more Don Draper....but I did enjoy many episodes today. I finished my book The Alchemist and I really enjoyed it and it left me pondering many deep thoughts and my head spinning! I had my second German lesson today and I still can't order bread or say the alphabet or count but I know how to say Richard's friend Paul is a lazy student. And that the teacher is on vacation, all very useful German I imagine! We were given a TV from a very nice co worker of my husband that may or may not work, but still very generous of him. But the highlight of all and I will always get such humor from hearing he could not stay for a drink after delivering the TV tonight because he was off to be "SPORTY" ! He said AH! yes I am a very SPORTY GUY! JA! It would have been rude of me to start laughing, but it's the little things............I just bit my tongue instead! And wished the SPORTY GUY a good night!

10 comments:

preppyplayer said...

I do think tht weather can affect mood. I know it sounds contrary, but get outside!
I can't tell you how much better I feel since I started playing paddle or teaching at Camp Gaw. I am outside at least 2 to 3 hours a day. I really feel this has made a difference with the winter doldrums. Trust me, Nj winters are dark, humid, and LONG.
Take a walk, be sporty outside. Is there tennis in Germany, I think it is time for you to play!
Love you.

Tami said...

It certainly is hard not to laugh sometimes. I have a wonderful neighbor from Germany (who I love!). One time we were talking about shopping and she said she found something "sheep". I had no idea what she meant. Finally a lighbulb went off and I said "oh! you mean cheap!" So yes, the little things make you giggle!

Ina in Alaska said...

I wonder what being "sporty" means. Hmmm....

Hope you are perked up some.... Been wondering about you.

I never did see Mad Men so can't feel your pain with you there.

Glad you're back! Spring will be sprung soon! xo

Leciawp said...

I'm sorry to hear you've been down! This time of your really affects people like that; I imagine it makes it harder also being in a foreign country. I really suffer when I have to learn another language; my sympathies are with you!

You've got me curious about The Alchemist.

What exactly was he trying to say ("sporty")?

Sara Bradshaw said...

Hilarious! Are German's known for their 'sportiness'? Just started watching Mad Men Season 1 (I know a bit behind the times) and I love it - also just started watching 24 (ok we are a LOT behind the times) x

Ina in Alaska said...

Me again... I agree with Preppy! If you take up tennis in Germany just think of all the new sporty bad German words you will learn!! Also another fun video series to watch is 30 Rock..... a little Tina Fey/Alec Baldwin therapy to make you smile!!!

Unknown said...

Oh, my friend keeps telling me to watch Mad Men, but I haven't yet. Is it good? I keep saying I'll start it, then get sidetracked.
What part of Az are you going to? My mom lives in Pearce Az. About 1 hour south of Tuscan.

Kwana said...

I'm over this winter. Bring on spring. It's easy to get down during these times. Warm weather will come.
I really need to catch up on Mad Men. Great series.

Joyce said...

How about hopping a train on those grey days. One of the countries near by has to have sun.

I'm sure it has to be tough with the language too. I have never been to Germany- do they speak a lot of english?

Do you like cooking/baking, enought to take a class?

Maybe there is another American wife at your husband's company feeling the same way. Is there any way of finding out?

Sending you BIG XOXO..

Anonymous said...

The German word he translated might have been "sportlich". All the dictionaries I checked translate it as either "sporty" (maybe it's British English?) or "athletic". It means that you love athletics, do lots of them and are good at it.

It is unusual to call yourself "sportlich" (apart from lonely hearts ads), so maybe he was joking or he wanted to tell you how important it is for him.