Monday, January 12, 2009

Sporty Girl is back!

With some Catholic guilt and pressure from a friend I drug my lazy,tired still a little ill arse to the Fitness Club. No one cheered, clapped, there was no balloons or confetti just a mean German girl that was irritated with my lack of German. I was there and ready to be sporty! That's what Germans or maybe all Europeans, or anyone but Americans, call working out or any form of Athletics is Sport . So if you do Sport you are being sporty, when I hear that I feel like I'm one of the Spice Girls or something fancy like that.

So I decide to take it slow due to the fact sport and me have not been best friends lately, I started with the treadmill, pretty safe. The thing about working out in a foreign country is you not only have a language barrier, that's one and then you have to do math right out of he gate, that's because everything is in metric, that's two! I never really grasped the whole metric conversion, so on the treadmill its asking me for info in German, things probably like age, height , weight personal stuff, why can't I just hit quick start and walk.
Finally figure it out and I'm walking and walking, I then notice its awfully quiet in here, you could hear a pin drop odd a gym without music. No techno like at grand opening, No cheesy 80's music nothing ! Okay I'm fine, lost in my thoughts, people watching, walking and now I'm sweating it is really hot in here like sauna hot. I'm not sweating because of the workout no I won't lie I was walking not even a slight jog just walking. Apparently according to my husband the gym he went to was the same way and if you open a window they freak out Germans do not like drafts!

So I did the treadmill and bike and my circuit and I was dripping wet with sweat, to look at me with my skin glistening and my hair all frizzy from the humidity one would think wow that girl was sure sporty. I had a good workout and it felt good moving but the sweat was definitely more from the lack of ventilation then too many reps.

After finding my way back to locker room, I quickly changed and tried to salvage my hair when out of the corner of my eye, do I see a naked man. I know Americans are uptight with nudity and I'm guilty of that, but never did I expect a naked man to take a wrong turn and end up in the Women's locker room. All I will say is it was not pretty and I hope I don't have nightmares about my day of sport.

I left with a big to go cup of "Weight Loss Water" and chuckled the whole way to my tram stop!

8 comments:

Tami said...

I loved your story! Sorry to laugh at your expense - but I did! I could see it all happening as I read your blog! Oh my! and the naked man! :) I take it he wasn't a "Brad Pitt" or you would have had written more about him! hee hee!

Formerly known as Frau said...

Oh he was no Edward Cullen and he was meant to wear clothes in locker rooms!
PS I like your new background Tami and thanks for the award! Too nice!
Did you go to gym yet??? We can keep each other in check!!

Lindsay Jones said...

Sounds like a real adventure! I am enjoying reading your blog. Germany seems so interesting!

preppyplayer said...

I'm impressed that you went and hope you were on time. I do have a hilarious pic in my mind of a naked man scampering from locker room to locker room.
At least you weren't naked, awkward.

Anonymous said...

Your story made me giggle. And it reminded me I need to keep my promise to myself to be sporty this evening!

Joyce said...

I love it! Wow- I'm so impress you worked out not feeling 100%. OK my plan tomorrow to at least go downstairs on the treadmill. Aren't you glad you went? Just think if you didn't you would have missed the peep show. LOL... Enjoy...

Anonymous said...

I look forward to reading about your adventures every day. Let me know if the magic water works and find out if it is availble in the States. I could use it. Maybe i need to get the heat up to 90 while i'm on the tredmill.Let me know if the high heat in the gym is loosing weight for you. Between the magic water and the heat the germans may have found a great weight loss system.

Unknown said...

OMG! Thanks for making me laugh so hard and pee a little!! What a day you had being so sporty! I hope that visual won't stay long with you! I hope you are feeling better! Miss ya, Mary