Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Double meaning

Today I did a girls day with two Americans living here in Bremen and a German native. We had a wonderful coffee and bread with all kinds of spreads, great conversation and stories. The German ladies home was amazing, very warm and inviting, filled with many treasures from their travels, and interesting artifacts. I loved listening to her talk, her English was very good, much better then my German. She was very funny unlike any German I had ever met, full of energy and spunk. When we came to her house we were greeted by her "housewife".....I was a bit confused so I played along and waited until she turned the corner and said to the other American what did she call her and she said, "housewife". Now keep in mind I just left Utah where having more then one wife is common. She explain it to me it's what they call maids, she does everything, cooks, cleans, laundry anything and everything. What do you think they are thinking when they ask us Americans "Do you work ?" and we say oh we are housewives! Do you think they think we are German maids? I want to get a housewife too I figure when in Germany do as Germans right!

8 comments:

Caffeine Court said...

Wow, you're life really is an adventure!! I love your blog.

Ina in Alaska said...

SO FUNNY!!!! I need a housewife too!

preppyplayer said...

Don't we all need a housewife?

kks said...

all i can say ...is what experience!love your blog!

Joyce said...

How fun! Europe is always ahead of fashion- in about 7 years we too can claim a housewife! LOL...

I think this is so neat for you to have a wonderful adventure that only a few us can dream about! I'm sure not all days are grand, but still an adventure. xoxo

Tami said...

Not only do I want a "HausFrau", but I NEED severly Housewives ~ just to keep up with my husband! haha!

Anonymous said...

You are a SUPER HOUSEWIFE!

Anonymous said...

Hi! I need a housewife too! So funny!